With Mother's day on the horizon and some of you likely making brunch, lunch or dinner for Mom....this is a quick and easy side dish for any of those meals!
Hash Brown Casserole
- 24-30 oz. bag(s) of Hash Browns (I use the square cut, not the shredded, but I'm sure it would be good either way)
- 2 c. sour cream
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 c. butter (1 stick)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbls. minced onion (or lots of onion powder in a pinch)
- 2 c. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 c. coarsely crushed corn flakes, tossed with an additional 1/2 c. butter, melted (1/2 stick, or less)
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Thaw hash browns, or if using frozen, it might take just a little longer to bake, but works fine. In a large bowl, mix soup, sour cream and butter. Add salt, onion and cheese, mix again. Add potatoes and mix.
Pour in a greased 9"x13" pan and pat smooth.
In separate bowl, mix cornflakes with the additional melted butter and sprinkle on top of potatoes.
Bake for 50 minutes. If using frozen potatoes, check at 50 minutes and if not bubbling sufficiently, add 10 minutes to the timer.